Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 16: Back To Basics

The decision has been made to go back to basics. Since this is a trials bike it took me all of about nine minutes to get the engine free of the frame. The oil drained while some yard work was attended to.
Once the side cover was removed, the kick starter assembly was visible. It appears that the end of the shaft is bent.
It took two to loosen this nut. Further inspection showed some loose screws but for the most part, this side of the engine looks beautiful.
Once the clutch is out, the kick starter shaft is easily removed. A spring must be removed from the shaft of the kick starter pin, but it is not under much tension.
Here is the whole assembly once it is removed. It is difficult to tell from the picture but the broken end of the shaft is also bent at an angle far exceeding optimal.
The inside looks like it just came off the factory floor! Perfection!
Here is the layout of the kick starter shaft in order. Now that the pesky shaft has been removed. That did not take long.
I have exhausted my other supplier of parts and he has referred me to a new supplier. I guess I will be getting a list and checking it twice. Here is his website:
Very nice site!

3 comments:

  1. Hello

    My name is branden, I have a cota 123 trails (1972) and the problem is the shifter moves very freely,you can move it up and down and it wont change gears.i took the side cover off.

    i was hoping you could give a couple pointers or help me in anyway email me at Brandenpeters91@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to
    make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog
    when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?


    Also visit my blog industrial painting contractor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog right here! Also your web site a lot up very fast!

    What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink to your host?
    I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

    My homepage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQPeyaVmtug

    ReplyDelete