Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 18: Carburetor, Air Filter etc.

I have been trying to find somewhere to get foam to make a replacement filter. I was tempted to shave some off an existing cushion. Then it hit me, I have this love seat I am trying to haul off to the dump. I started cutting the covering off and was able to harvest enough foam to last another twenty years! In lieu of the spring, I will just use aluminum tape for doing duct work. Problem solved! We also took the carburetor apart and verified that the current jet is in fact a "U" like the manual specifies. The replacement part for the kick start is $166.00. We are going to explore some other options and see if that works. Thanks John Haberbosch at http://rmmontesa.com/ for giving the proper fuel to oil mix! This seems to be one of those closely guarded secrets! 28:1 to as low as 20:1! Otherwise we will be constantly replacing pistons! This little tip will probably save us plenty of heartbreak since we were recommended 40:1 to as low as 30:1! Quite a disparity there! Well even though the piston is easy to replace, I still would not like to do it every week. This was probably what originally killed this bike. Again John, THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment